Dentistry is often considered as both “art” and “science.”
But that’s not all…
There’s leadership, management, continuing education, technology, insurance headaches, changing practice models, etc. etc.
Makes you wonder how you’ll keep up… let alone achieve a wonderful level of practice success.
Whatever your situation is as a dentist right now, your personal dental story is unique in how you got there and what you learned along the way.
We asked a sampling of Net32 customers to provide us with some insight into their stories.
The following questions were designed to ignite dentists’ thinking:
- What advice would you give your younger self? What do you wish more dentists knew getting into the industry?
- What was one of the biggest challenges you overcame becoming a dentist? What did you learn?
- What excites you most about the future of dentistry? Where do you see the industry evolving?
We are starting with one dentist’s story for this issue, as follows.
Meet Dr. Michael Cooley, Fashion Isle Smiles, Newport Beach, California
Dr. Cooley believes that school is always in session with dentistry. Growth and learning opportunities exist on both the clinical side and practice leadership and management side.
What advice would you give your younger self? What do you wish more dentists knew getting into the industry?
“I learn from my mistakes. Each one is an opportunity for growth and improvement.”
What was one of the biggest challenges you overcame becoming a dentist? What did you learn?
“One of the hardest decisions I had to make was choosing between entering a specialty program in Advanced Prosthodontics or joining my father-in-law in a private practice. I chose to join the practice. My decision has given me the opportunity to work alongside and learn from a mentor with over 40 years of practicing dentistry. That experience combined with ongoing CE courses has made a difference.”
What excites you most about the future of dentistry? Where do you see the industry evolving?
“Advances in technology help us become more advanced in our practice. Oral health research also plays a key role. New discoveries in dental medicine have the potential to completely change the way we think about our approach to helping our patients.”
What additional wisdom has guided your dental career?
“ Find balance in life. Enjoy activities outside of the ‘dental world.’”
Get acquainted with Dr. Cooley, his team, and his Newport Beach dental practice at FashionIsleSmiles.com.
Key Take-Aways from Dr. Cooley’s Dental Story
- Reflect on your dental journey. What mistakes have you made? How did those missteps create new opportunity?
- Recall a defining moment in your dental career. How did that decision create new opportunity? Who has mentored you along the way and how did they shape how you practice dentistry?
- Keep learning and innovating. What new technology are you planning to implement? How do you anticipate it improving your practice efficiencies and quality of patient care?
- Maintain a healthy work-life balance. What “recharges” you during time off?
What’s Your Story?
Keep learning from colleagues and Net32’s Modern Practice blog.
#dentistry #businessofdentistry #dentalpracticesuccess #dentalleadership #dentalleader #dentalpracticemanagement
Latest posts by Dr. Patrick Cassidy (see all)
- Why Orthodontic Technology is Best in the Hands of Professionals - November 6, 2019
- Dentist Stories: Business Training, Toxic Influences, and Silver Diamine Fluoride - October 8, 2019
- Dentist Stories: Immigrating to the US, Pedodontic Residency, Pregnancy, and Relationships. - August 28, 2019
- Dentist Stories: Hard Decisions, Learning from Mistakes, Finding Balance - August 26, 2019
- Fool Proof Tactics for Hassle-Free Dental Insurance Claim Management - August 16, 2019
Last modified: September 6, 2019